- Tell us a bit about where you work and what you do.
I work at Douglas College in the library and for many years I have been the Emerging Technologies Librarian and in the last number of years I am also the Open Education Librarian.
- How long have you been involved in teaching and learning and/or ed technology?
I have been teaching and working with educational technology for 23 years.
- What’s one thing you really love about the work you do?
I have always loved that my job is exploring new technologies – I get to experiment and learn for a living. It allows me to take risks because failing is also part of the learning experience. I’m also lucky enough to be able to branch out and work in the open education field. Each year it gets even better than the last and it is both challenging and rewarding.
- How long have you been a member of ETUG?
I met Leva Lee when we were both on the AskAway Advisory Committee in 2010 and she introduced me to ETUG.
5. What do you like best about this community and its activities?
The generosity of this community in sharing information and working together.
- Do you have a favorite ETUG memory?
Yes – Spring ETUG 2015 at SFU – during a break, a few people were going to find the bit coin vending machine to buy some bit coin. I intended to go but got too wrapped up in a conversion. I’ve always wished I had bought some. It was also the ETUG where I met Leva’s friend, Sally Wilson which was very special as well. We each made a LibraryBoxes for a poster session. Also, in Sally’s blog about ETUG 2015, I’m reminded of another fun session seeing a photo of me wearing a Google cardboard headset.
7. What would you like ETUG to provide more of in terms of benefits/value to members? Any input or help you want to ask members to provide?
I think ETUG provides so much and if there is anything that I wish for is that I’d like more time to bet involved with the many things they offer.
8. Do you have any special interests/hobbies?
Oh gosh! I don’t like this question because it sounds like a cliché for a librarian to say they love to read. So I won’t say that but I’ll say that I always need to be reading and listening to stories.
- Anything special you want to ask or share with members?
Yes, thank you for making ETUG the great community it is.