Note: This post is information on the awards program last year (2010). The Awards program being updated so watch for information on our “showcase of innovation” and Call for Nominations for 2012.
The BC Educational Technology Users Group (ETUG) with support from BC Campus and the Ministry of Advanced Education & Labour Market Development welcomes your nominations for the 2010 Innovation Awards in Educational Technology.
These awards honour outstanding achievement in educational technology for work in projects, academic programs and courses, and services done by individuals or teams.
Please review the criteria below and make your nomination now!
Eligibility Criteria – must be met by all submissions
- submitted by a BC public post-secondary institution. Individual(s) acting on behalf of the institution should be employees of the institution (i.e., no commercial benefit to individuals as a result of winning an award)
- collaborative submissions (e.g., work done in partnership between public post–secondary and other public educational sectors or agencies in BC such as K–12, BC Council on Admissions and Transfer, etc.) are eligible. In this case, the BC post-secondary institution should be the lead in the submission
- initiated, implemented or completed prior to application deadline
- in operation for 1 year minimum
- nominations from previous years are welcome, but must be revised to meet the this year’s criteria and submission process
- nominations must be complete, and include supporting documentation. Incomplete nominations will not be adjudicated
Educational technology is defined as technology used to enhance teaching and learning and/or provide educational opportunities or improved service support to students and faculty. (Note: The focus of these awards is in the educational application of the technology, not the technology itself.)
Up to three awards will be given to the qualifying submissions that best meet one or more of the following criteria and best demonstrate how they meet this criteria in their nomination submission. It is not necessary for a submission to meet all criteria, but submissions must demonstrate how they have met the criteria.
Innovative use of Technology
- innovative, creative, or sophisticated use of technology that is ground breaking and does (or has potential to) dramatically transform or impact teaching, learning or educational services (e.g., development and/or use of new pedagogies, pedagogically sound application(s) of technology, tools, systems; projects that result in improvements in quality or access to education)
- innovative use of technology that increases understanding of how an emerging technology can enhance teaching and/or learning
- work in the area of educational technology that demonstrates extraordinary collaboration and sharing of knowledge and resources (across departments or institutions) that leads to excellence in teaching and learning (e.g., improved practice, access, retention, innovation, knowledge mobilization, knowledge management systems/processes, etc.)
- outstanding leadership in educational technology that leads/ provides opportunities for others to champion innovation in education
- substantial time and resources devoted to providing leadership in the use of educational technology
Outstanding Support of Innovation
- outstanding support within an institution that enables others (students, faculty, staff, administrators) to successfully use educational technology to reach educational goals through:
- an innovative use of technology with potential to dramatically impact teaching, learning or educational services;
- Individual or team work ‘above and beyond the call of duty’ to support educational technology, resulting in a significant, demonstrable difference for the nominee(s)’ home institution or the BC post-secondary system (e.g., testimonials, feedback, general agreement among colleagues or students, surveys etc.)
Recognition: award winners are celebrated in the following ways:
- formal presentation of their award at the Awards Ceremony at an ETUG workshop
- Innovation in Educational Technology Awards Seal for their personal and/or institutional website
- email of recognition of their achievement sent to their institution
- invitation to present their work at an ETUG workshop
All nominees and award winners will be recognized on ETUG website and online communities.
Submitting a Nomination
Go here to submit your Nomination Form and supporting documents.
- Supporting documents (up to 6, max. 10 MB each) include materials like letters, comments, survey results, or documentation from those served by the project, learning materials, excerpts from manuals, samples of software, website URLs, etc. It is important to provide evidence of impact.
- An id and password must be provided for any secured web sites submitted in support of the nomination or referred to in the nomination. These should be enabled for at least one month after the awards deadline date to ensure adequate time for committee review.
The adjudication process will be undertaken by the Awards Committee, a sub-committee of professional peers from ETUG. Awards Committee members will not judge nominations from their home institution. See: Evaluation Rubric
If you have any questions, contact:
- Tracy Roberts, Chair, 2010 BC Innovation Awards in Educational Technology email@example.com
- Leva Lee, ETUG Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome your nominations!